Imagine the wonderment of primitive man stumbling across a uniquely shaped, brilliantly colored, crystal among a vast expanse of amorphous, grew rock. Would it be any surprise if that person attributed mystical powers to it?
The first known reference to the healing power of certain crystals comes from an Egyptian papyrus dated around 1600BC, which gives directions for their curative use. Beads of Lapis Lazuli, Malachite , and Red Jasper were worn around a sick person’s neck so that the disease could pass through them and dissipate. The practice of placing or wearing stones on various areas of the body , with its amuletic links, was only part of the repertoire of healers in history. A particularly popular medicinal method was to pulverize gems, mix them with a liquid, and drink the result - (an elixir) the forerunner, perhaps, of mineral water.
Our earth is 85% crystal. It’s crust is largely silicon and oxygen, combined with six other common elements-aluminum, iron, calcium, sodium, potassium, and magnesium. From this chemical casserole comes an awe-inspiring variety of crystal colors, shapes, sizes, and hardness.
Earth is also the ultimate recycler, changing limestone to marble, or share to garnet schist. Cocktail of ingredients form crystals under specific conditions of temperature, pressure, space, and time. When the conditions change the crystals may also be altered.
Because of their crystalline lattice structure crystals are very good at holding a stable vibration. We, on the other hand, are an incredibly complex mix of vibrations and they can get easily disturbed and go out of balance, which is when we get ill. Lots of things can affect our vibration, from external influences such as electromagnetic and geopathic stress, to internal ones such as constant negative thought patterns and suppressing emotions. When a crystal therapist places a crystal on a client or in their aura, they are trying to find the right healing vibration for the client. When the right crystal is placed its steady vibration helps the body reset itself. Sometimes this comes along with an emotional or energetic release and there can be tears or shaking. This is a good sign!
Crystals & Chakras
Chakra means Wheel in Sanskrit.
Consciousness and energy move from one frequency to another in spiraling fashion.
The body has energy centers that look like spinning wheels and are called Chakras. They allow energy to flow from one part of the body to another.As with all things in our reality, they are linked to sound, light and color. To heal, is to bring the chakras into alignment and balance.
- Base or Root Chakra: Kundalini: Root Chakra:
- Located at the base of the spine.
- Earth, survival, grounding, stillness
- Contains the primary 8 cells that have all of the knowledge of creation and remain the only cells in your body that do not change in your lifetime. It grounds us in the physical world.
Stones associated with the first chakra:
- Black tourmaline:
- This is a protective stone when you feel threatened at the survival level.
- This stone helps you to set protective boundaries when you feel as if others are intruding into your private space.
- Black and snowflake obsidian
- Helps you to see what material things you no longer need for growth.
- Smoky quartz,
- The lightest of the dark stones, helps to blend the energies of the first and seventh chakras.
- Tiger’s eye
- Helps you to feel secure about physical existence.
- Located just beneath the navel.
- Relates to our sexual and reproductive capacity.
Stones associated with the second chakra:
- The bloodstone is used for circulation of all energy in the body and helps to remove energy blocks.
- Associated with creativity and decision-making.
- Red garnet
- Encourages patience.
- Red jasper
- Helps to connect us to the flowing energies of the earth.
- The stone of passion, enhances sensory awareness.
- Ruby in Zoisite
- Is a way to benefit from ruby’s energy in a grounding form.
- Solar Plexis:
- Seat of Emotions.
- Gives us a sense of personal power in the world.
Stones associated with the third chakra:
- Has a calming and stabilizing effect, especially on emotions such as anger and stress.
- The stone most related to manifesting abundance and to the balanced use of will.
- Golden calcite
- Helps to integrate new energies and beliefs areas related to personal empowerment, such as relationships and business.
- Releases congestion in the solar plexus, and aids creativity.
- Assists in deep breathing, thus helping to relieve anxiety and tension.
- Rutilated quartz
- Helps to add enhanced creating energy to our dreams.
- Helps us to come up with creative ideas which can help bring abundance in our lives.
- Tiger’s eye
- Helps to teach us good timing in terms of when to act on a dream.
- Helps us to understand the mental and emotional sources for it. It is also believed to help release conditions which have been inhibiting personal growth.
- Heart Chakra:
- Heart Center - Seat of the Soul in the hourglass of time - Zero Point
Stones associated with the fourth chakra:
- The stone most related to physical health and heart balancing.
- Relates most directly to the spiritual aspects of love.
- Green calcite
- Eases old, limiting beliefs (especially those based on fear) from the mind so that new ideas can flourish.
- Green tourmaline
- Opens the creative elements of the heart, i.e., adding an emotional depth to one’s creations.
- Helps to calm the heart and relieves stress.
- Releases congestion in the solar plexus, and aids creativity.
- Blends malachite’s ability with chrysocolla’s gift of soothing and calming.
- This stone is a powerful cleanser. Releasing and neutralizing toxins on all levels.
- Pink Calcite
- Helps to release old and hurtful emotional patterns so that the heart can be open to receive and give unconditional love.
- Helps to relieve anxiety.
- Helps us to be patient with others.
- Rose quartz
- The stone for helping to create unconditional self-love.
- Tied to creativity and communication.
- Feels pressure when you are not communicating your emotions properly.
Stones for the fifth chakra:
- Angelite helps us to communicate with angels and other nonphysical beings, as well as aiding in long-distance communication. It also helps to dissolve anger.
- Aqua Aura teaches us self-expression through service to others.
- Helps us to express ourselves in a tranquil way.
- Blue lace agate
- Helps to ground our communications with a sense of what can be accomplished.
- Blue Topaz
- Helps us to communicate fearlessly that which we know to be true, and also stimulates creativity.
- Helps to calm the over-active mind and teaches us how to be receptive.
- Helps one to have self-confidence in personal expression.
- Enables us to communicate with others that which we feel deeply in our hearts and souls.
- Helps us to enroll others to help in the manifestation of our desires.
- Third Eye Pineal Gland:
- Often connected to the forehead.
- Is a physical eye at the base of the brainwith the capabilities of looking upward.
- Clairvoyance, psychic abilities, imagination, dreaming
Stones associated with the sixth chakra:
- Known as nature’s tranquilizer, helps in sleep and in peaceful dreams.
- Helps us to consciously look at old programmed beliefs and dissolve them.
- Helps to dissolve fears, both known and unknown.
- Hawk’s eye
- Helps us to see our lives as with aerial vision.
- Reminds me that everything which happens is for a purpose, and that we are ultimately in charge, and often brings to surface beliefs we have accepted as fact.
- Helps us to discover our hidden beliefs and bring them to the surface.
- Helps in balance when one is emotionally or mentally confused.
- Moss agate
- Helps to balance the left and right sides of the brain.
- Helps to release resentment and guilt.
- Connects you with message from higher realms.
- Can be experienced as a pressure on the top of the head.
- spiritual connection, understanding, knowing, bliss, God
Stones associated with the seventh chakra:
- Clear calcite
- Brings spiritual understanding to problems on the earth plane.
- Clear quartz
- There are many forms of clear quartz. See our articles about Clusters and different kinds of Crystal Points.
- Helps us to view what happens in our lives from the soul perspective and have a feeling of calmness and serenity even when life seems very difficult.
- This form of clear quartz is especially brilliant, and has a particular ability to dissolve chakra blockages.
- I find it significant that selenite, in both its forms, relates to purity. There is also a deeper connection. I believe love is the medium which enables us to experience our connection to all of life, and find that working with both forms of selenite can deepen this experience.
Now in summary , I have found crystals to be essential in harmonising my awareness of my energy and other senses which have come to light (see - New Life Energy). And although there are more than seven Chakras, which I will get into in another post (there are about 12 or more, known to the Atlantitians), there is a wealth of knowledge associated with how our current crystals can effect/heal our bodies & souls.
Opinions differ on what each stone is best at healing as every body and person is slightly different. When you research this you will see a pattern of stones associated with certain parts of the body again & again; this is where you can weeding out the golden information from the more than likely incorrect/misread information.
One of the most comprehensive books on the subject of properties of crystals is The Crystal Bible by Judy Hall and The Crystal Bible 2 (for the rarer crystals) also by Judy Hall. These were recomended by my Walking crystal Encylopedia and fellow Blogger Kristens Sparkles.
I bought a few crystals just to see what happened and I have never looked back!
My first was a powerful Quartz single terminated (energy focused into a single point) pendant. It opened the door to all different crystals and their freqencies which I can feel as they vibrate in my hand.
There are a number of shops to choose from and I have bought from people I know/online stores etc, and they have all been good. Have a go and see what you think.
Love & Light,